Call or E-Mail for an
underwriting packet today!
What is underwriting on your local public radio station?
Underwriting is a business donation to a non-commercial public radio station,
such as WQCS / 88.9 FM. In return, the business receives a 15-second on-air
underwriting announcement, in which the firm’s name, address, phone number,
slogan or product line can be mentioned.
Call or E-Mail for an underwriting packet today!
Why underwrite with WQCS?
- WQCS delivers the highest concentration of highly educated, affluent and influential citizens within the WQCS coverage area-reaching over 70,000 listeners.
- Your message will reach decision makers that regard your message as a statement of character from a company that supports public radio just like they do.
- Your company gains credibility by associating with intelligent, in-depth journalism from the award winning WQCS news team, NPR, and Associated Press.
- Underwriting with WQCS is impactful. Your message is delivered in a clutter free environment to receptive listeners.
- When price and quality are equal, 65% of public radio listeners prefer to buy products from companies that support public radio.*
- 72% of public radio listeners have a more positive opinion of a company when they find out it supports public radio.*
- 95 % of listeners say they have taken direct action as a result of a NPR sponsorship.
Who are WQCS’s underwriters?
With more than 35 years on the air, WQCS has several hundred businesses that have supported the station through underwriting. The following list includes the types of businesses that reach potential customers or clients through WQCS:
- Retail Businesses
- Art Galleries / Museums
- Banks / Other Financial Institutions
- Hotels / Resorts
- Advertising Agencies
- Law Offices / Individual Attorneys
- Physicians/ Medical Institutions
- Senior Care/ Assisted Living Facilities
- Educational Institutions
NPR Listeners are your Best Customers
NPR Listeners are:
- 187% more likely to be considered unfluential in their community-participating in three or more organizations or causes.
- 37% more likely to dine out.
- 34% more likley to have 7 or more doctor visits annually. ( They care about their health!)
- 74% more likely to use an outside contractor for home improvements.
- 140% more likely to visit Museums
- 88&% more likely to be a business owner
- 99% more likely to use a financial planner
Because of the non-commercial status of public radio stations, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has guidelines for underwriting announcements, in particular, requiring that they not be promotional in nature. They cannot contain comparative or qualitative descriptions of products or services, price information, including interest rates, inducements to buy, sell, rent or lease, or other calls to action. Messages must be value neutral.
The following is a script example:
WQCS is underwritten The Florida Eye Institute in Vero Beach and Sebastian. Specializing in the treatment of comprehensive ophthalmologic conditions, cataract and macular degeneration. More information is available online at fleye.com
WQCS reaches over 80,000 listeners each week representing the area from northern Palm Beach County to Melbourne and west to Avon Park / Sebring. Over the years, WQCS has been listed among the Top 5 public radio stations in the United States for the share of population listening to the station. Its staff members have brought in more than 50 local, state and national awards recognizing the station’s excellence in broadcasting for reporting, community involvement and outreach, fundraising, and special events.
Ha ● lo eff ● ect
(Noun) – The positive sentiment that listeners have towards companies that support the community service of NPR and public radio stations
Jacobs Media after conducting research on the effects of underwriting on public radio is credited with the phrase Halo Effect. Research conducted reveals that messaging on public radio can be a cost effective way to achieve results from an advertising and marketing plan. Studies cite more than 70% of public radio listeners surveyed said that a company’s support of public radio had a positive influence on their decision to purchase that company’s products or services. http://bit.ly/1PgV3fe
Call or E-Mail for an underwriting packet today!
The following testimonials are from underwriting partners on WQCS who have benefited from the Halo Effect on WQCS 88.9 FM NPR for the Treasure Coast
Good Day Lisa,
Good news, we now have three jobs in the shop and one pending, only one is local in Vero. One customer has come up from PSL, a second just today came from Stuart, the other is in Jensen will be bringing us a project from Jensen after the first of the year. Why you may ask am I glowing to tell you this? All four are from WQCS!
WQCS/Public Radio are the stars of small specialty businesses!
Thank you many times over!
Jim Parks, owner, Parks Wood Furniture and Repair, Roof Repairs Only
I am Todd Harris owner of Crown Care Automotive and Diesel Repair with two locations in Martin County. “I am both a listener and underwriting partner of WQCS. The 88.9 FM audience is a good fit for my business reaching affluent, educated and community involved adults. The public radio listener appreciates the fact that Crown Care is a local, family business with good old fashioned quality service. I value the excellent NPR programming and enjoy being connected with a like-minded audience and quality radio station.”
Todd Harris, owner, Crown Care Automotive and Diesel Repair