Saint Lucie County Fire District - Always Assume that a Downed Power Line is Live
St. Lucie County - Tuesday November 8, 2022: The Saint Lucie County Fire District wants to make sure all residents of Saint Lucie County remain safe around downed power lines during and after Tropical Storm Nicole.
Please follow these tips when dealing with down power lines:
· Consider all lines to be live and dangerous.
· Warn others to stay away at least 35 feet from a downed power line.
· Stay in place or inside your vehicle if it has come into contact with a low hanging or downed power line.
· Tell others not to approach a vehicle, downed lines, or anything that may be in contact with downed lines.
· Down wires can energize other nearby objects such as fences, water pipes, buildings, and telephone, CATV or fiber optic cables. They can also energize windblown objects such as canopies, aluminum roofs, siding, and sheds, during and after storms.
Contact Florida Power and Light (FP&L) or Fort Pierce Utilities emergency phone numbers to report a dangerous condition such as a downed power line.
The number for FP&L is 1-800-468-8243 and FPUA is 1-772-466-1600. FP&L and FPUA are responsible for downed and arcing power lines and calling 911 does not expedite FP&L or FPUA’s response. Remember that 911 is for emergencies only. If there is active fire, do not hesitate to call 911.