Become an IRSC Public Media Underwriter
What is underwriting on your local public radio station?
Underwriting is a business donation to a non-commercial public radio station, such as the stations that are part of IRSC Public Media. In return, the business receives a 15-second on-air underwriting announcement, in which the firm’s name, address, phone number, slogan or product line can be mentioned.
Call or E-Mail for an underwriting packet today!
Why underwrite with IRSC Public Media?
- IRSC Public Media delivers the highest concentration of highly educated, affluent and influential citizens within the coverage area. WQCS reaches over 120,000 people per month, with WQCP reaching over 53,000 listeners monthly.
- Your message will reach decision makers that regard your message as a statement of character from a company that supports public radio just like they do.
- Your company gains credibility by associating with intelligent, in-depth journalism from our award winning news team, NPR, and Associated Press.
- Underwriting with WQCS & WQCP is impactful. Your message is delivered in a clutter free environment to receptive listeners.
- When price and quality are equal, 65% of public radio listeners prefer to buy products from companies that support public radio.
- 72% of public radio listeners have a more positive opinion of a company when they find out it supports public radio.
- 95 % of listeners say they have taken direct action as a result of a NPR sponsorship.
Who are WQCS’s underwriters?
With more than 40 years on the air, WQCS has several hundred businesses that have supported the station through underwriting. The following list includes the types of businesses that reach potential customers or clients through WQCS & WQCP:
- Retail Businesses
- Art Galleries / Museums
- Banks / Other Financial Institutions
- Hotels / Resorts
- Advertising Agencies
- Law Offices / Individual Attorneys
- Physicians/ Medical Institutions
- Senior Care/ Assisted Living Facilities
- Educational Institutions
NPR Listeners are your Best Customers
NPR Listeners are:
- 187% more likely to be considered influential in their community-participating in three or more organizations or causes.
- 37% more likely to dine out.
- 34% more likley to have 7 or more doctor visits annually. ( They care about their health!)
- 74% more likely to use an outside contractor for home improvements.
- 140% more likely to visit Museums
- 88&% more likely to be a business owner
- 99% more likely to use a financial planner
Because of the non-commercial status of public radio stations, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has guidelines for underwriting announcements, in particular, requiring that they not be promotional in nature. They cannot contain comparative or qualitative descriptions of products or services, price information, including interest rates, inducements to buy, sell, rent or lease, or other calls to action. Messages must be value neutral.
The following is a script example:
WQCS is underwritten The Florida Eye Institute in Vero Beach and Sebastian. Specializing in the treatment of comprehensive ophthalmologic conditions, cataract and macular degeneration. More information is available online at fleye.com
IRSC Public Media reaches over 100,000 listeners each week representing the area from northern Palm Beach County to Melbourne and west to Avon Park / Sebring, including the entire Treasure Coast. Over the years, WQCS has been listed among the Top 5 public radio stations in the United States for the share of population listening to the station. Its staff members have brought in more than 50 local, state and national awards recognizing the station’s excellence in broadcasting for reporting, community involvement and outreach, fundraising, and special events.
Ha ● lo eff ● ect
(Noun) – The positive sentiment that listeners have towards companies that support the community service of NPR and public radio stations
Jacobs Media after conducting research on the effects of underwriting on public radio is credited with the phrase Halo Effect. Research conducted reveals that messaging on public radio can be a cost effective way to achieve results from an advertising and marketing plan. Studies cite more than 70% of public radio listeners surveyed said that a company’s support of public radio had a positive influence on their decision to purchase that company’s products or services.
Call or E-Mail for an underwriting packet today!
The following testimonials are from underwriting partners on IRSC Public Media who have benefited from the Halo Effect on WQCS 88.9 FM and WQCP 91.1 FM.
Ballet Vero Beach has been a WQCS underwriter since our inception. For an arts organization there is simply no more effective means to reach a solid customer base of artistic, intelligent, culturally minded, constituents than with WQCS. Advertising with WQCS allows us the flexibility to promote performances and our unique education and engagement programming. The staff at WQCS makes sure all of our needs are easily met with truly engaging professionalism and quality production of all our ads. We cannot imagine a marketing plan without including underwriting on WQCS!
— Adam Schnell, CEO Ballet Vero Beach
We are happy to be loyal WQCS supporters! Being a sponsor of WQCS allows our firm to support the vital services WQCS offers the Treasure Coast. We absolutely love hearing from clients, friends and colleagues – when they say, “we heard your sponsorship message this morning and we are so happy to know that you are supporting WQCS”.
— Nicola J. Melby, CELA with McCarthy Summers Wood Norman Melby & Schultz, P.A.
Over 15 years of Underwriting with WQCS, we continue to gain three primary responses. First and foremost: There is no other avenue where you provide the name of your business and you receive thanks for sponsoring said entity. We can not count the times David or Jim have met with a customer to view their roof concern and the first words spoken from the potential customer is “Thank you for sponsoring WQCS”. Not only in meeting a customer for a roof appointment, but also in a parking lot we will receive an unsolicited thank you or driving down the road a thumbs up. Money well spent in every sense of the word.
Secondly, we have callers who have listened to WQCS and when have a roof problem, not recalling our contact info, will call the station get our number and advise our office of the upcoming call.
Final: Any call that comes in our office that is not a previous customer we ask where they got our name. Often if they do not remember, we ask if they listen to WQCS and not surprisingly, they will say they do. Whether they believe that is the source or not, subliminally this is quite likely.
— Jim Park, Owner, Roof Repairs Only
WQCS 88.9 FM
Indian River State College
3209 Virginia Avenue
Fort Pierce, FL 34981
EIN # 59-1206516