Spotting and preventing mold
Reading about mold in a Martin County government building reminded me that mold can be a serious problem on the Treasure Coast and throughout Florida. Mold was discovered in the Martin County General Services Field Operations building near Witham Field. Patches of yellow mold were on the ceiling and a cabinet. Black mold was oozing from behind a wall-mounted map. In the early 1990s, the entire Martin County Courthouse was infected with mold. Mold is a fungus that requires moisture. Mold spores are in the air all around us. That is normal. But we should not let mold accumulate indoors. It can cause headaches, nasal congestion, a hacking cough, watery eyes, skin rash, maybe extreme fatigue. Be alert for mold. It appears as a stain or fuzzy growth on walls, ceilings, furniture, almost any surface. It sends off a musty odor. To prevent mold, the Florida Department of Health says: Keep indoor humidity low. Clean up liquid spills immediately. Fix leaks and prevent condensation. Do not lay carpet in bathrooms or basement. If mold appears on a hard surface, wipe it off and dry the surface. If it appears on an absorbent material, such as ceiling tiles, replace the material. Mold can make you sick. Don’t let it poison your home. For 88.9 FM, this is Paul Janensch.