Surfside One Year After
Florida - June 23, 2022: This Friday marks the one-year anniversary of the collapse of the Champlain Towers South condo in Surfside Florida. A judge in Miami has given initial approval to a settlement for the families of the victims’ and the survivors that will exceed $1 billion.
The settlement will be paid out to the families of the victims who died, and the survivors pulled from the ruble after the 12-story beachside condo collapsed on June 24 last year. The 98 victim families and 4 survivors range in age from one to ninety-two.
West Palm Beach personal injury attorney Sean Domnick has closely watched the case over the past year. Deciding who get what he says will be a tough task. "You have people who were injured but not killed. You have people who were killed that had one survivor and other that had multiple survivors," he said. "So, I think that there are still going to be some allocation issues.”
The exact cause of the collapse has not yet been officially determined, but there were warning signs said Domnick. “When you look back, you see a lot of points in time where if somebody had been thinking about this in the right way where they could have made a difference and prevented this.”
Many factors were likely involved in the collapse said Domnick. “I don’t know that there is any one thing that you’d say ‘Ah! This was it at that moment.’ We had the years of neglect, the repairs that needed to be done. You’ve got accusations against the surrounding building that had been doing construction. The allegations were that that further weekend the foundation of the Surfside building.”
One of the most important impacts of the collapse is that it has forced change. The Florida Legislature during its recent special session passed a law requiring more frequent condo inspections. “It shows that one of the roles of government is to come in and make sure that people are safe," said Domnick.