Florida Department of Health Offices in St. Lucie County Are Open Today, Monday October 3
St. Lucie County - Monday October 3, 2022: All of the Florida Department of Health offices in St. Lucie County will be open today, Monday, October 3. The offices were closed September 28 and 29 because of hurricane Ian.
IN the wake of Ian's passage across the state, the Department of Health reminds residents to drain any standing water in and around homes and businesses as an important first step in preventing mosquito-borne illnesses from spreading throughout a community.
The “Drain and Cover” campaign reminds us that some mosquitoes require only the tiniest amount of water that it takes to fill a bottle cap to produce more and more mosquitoes.
Check out this public service announcement on the “Drain and Cover” campaign: here
For more information on mosquito-borne illness prevention, visit www.FloridaHealth.gov/emergency.
DRAIN standing water:
- Drain water from garbage cans, buckets, pool covers, coolers, toys, flowerpots, or any other containers where sprinkler or rainwater has collected.
- Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots, pans, broken appliances, and other items that aren't being used.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pet's water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that stretch tight or with folds that can be smoothed over to prevent from collecting water.
- Maintain swimming pools in good condition and appropriately chlorinated. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use.
COVER your skin with:
- CLOTHING - If you must be outside when mosquitoes are active, cover up. Wear shoes, socks, long pants, and long sleeves.
- REPELLENT - Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing. Always use repellents according to the label. Repellents with 10-30 percent DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, and IR3535 are effective.
- Use mosquito netting to protect children younger than 2 months old, mosquito spray is not safe for children this young.
COVER doors and windows with screens:
- Keep mosquitoes out of your house. Repair broken screening on windows, doors, porches, and patios.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
To learn more about DOH-St. Lucie programs, visit http://stlucie.floridahealth.gov/index.html.