Port St. Lucie: New Garbage Cart Deliveries Begin, Waste Collection Schedule Announced
Port St. Lucie - Friday July 29, 2022: The delivery of new garbage carts to the residents of Port St. Lucie begins today, Monday August 1. The new carts are necessary in order to work with the automated waste collection service to be provided by FCC Environmental Services Florida.
FCC Environmental Services is replacing Waste Pro as the city's solid waste collection hauler. The PSL city government and Waste Pro are still in court over a breach of contract dispute. Thousands of residents have filed complaints about the service Waste Pro has not provided.
Cart deliveries are expected to be complete by August 26.
PSL residents on the east side of Florida’s Turnpike will begin receiving their new garbage carts first. Residents on the west side of the turnpike will receive theirs in mid- to- late August. The carts will be delivered to residents’ curbs along with a disposal and usage tips brochure.
Residents must begin using their new garbage cart during the week of September 5, on their designated pick-up day. If there is an immediate need, residents can use the new cart prior to September 5.
In the meantime, FCC Environmental Services has released its simplified waste collection schedule, and residents only need to remember one day. Household trash, recycling and yard waste will be collected once a week on the same designated day. Bulk waste will be collected once a month on the same designated day.
The City’s new, simplified waste collection schedule starts September 5. The schedule is available at www.cityofpsl.com/solidwaste.
There are three options available for your old garbage cart:
1. Repurpose the old can as a yard waste can or as a storage container for yard/garden tools, sports equipment, pool toys or pet supplies.
2. “Take Me” away at the curb on your designated bulk waste day. Residents can print a “Take Me” tag off the City’s website (or tape a note to the can), and it will be collected for disposal from the curb. The tag will be available at www.cityofpsl.com/solidwaste, beginning Sept. 5.
3. Garbage Can Recycling Roundup: As recycling collection resumes with the new service, residents are encouraged to recycle their old garbage can. Take the cans, emptied and rinsed, to the Voluntary Drop-off Center on Saturday, Sept. 17 or Saturday, Sept. 24, from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at the northeast corner of Cameo Boulevard and Crosstown Parkway, behind the green, fenced-in area, just west of the turnpike.
Residents are invited to learn more about all the positives changes happening with their solid waste program at two open houses:
• Tuesday, Aug. 2, 6-8 p.m. at Tradition Town Hall, 10799 SW Civic Lane, Port St. Lucie, FL 34987.
• Monday, Aug. 29, 6-8 p.m. at the Port St. Lucie’s Community Center, 2195 SE Airoso Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL 34984.