Okeechobee County Advisory on Hurricane Ian
Okeechobee County - Tuesday September 27, 2022: As of Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. Okeechobee County has these important updates:
• Okeechobee County emergency officials are monitoring Hurricane Ian. Okeechobee County is currently under a Hurricane Watch. Residents should be prepared for severe weather in the next 24-48 hours. The Emergency Operations Center is currently at Activation Level 2: Partial Activation.
• Limited amounts of sandbags are available at the Public Works Department Compound located at 804 NW 2nd Street. Shovels and limited bags are available at the site at no charge. Citizens will be required to fill their own bags.
• Two Shelters will be opening on Wednesday, September 28th.
o A Special Needs Shelter will open at the Department of Health at 8:00 a.m. located at 1700 NW 9th Avenue. Registration is required at https://snr.flhealthresponse.com/
o A General Population and Pet Friendly shelter will open at South Elementary at 10:00 a.m. located at 2468 SW 7th Avenue. Pets are required to be registered with the County and provide a crate, up to date shot records, food for at least 3-5 days, water for the animal and a litter box if the pet is a cat.
• Waste Management will stop collections at the end of the day on Tuesday, 9/27/22
• An information line is open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. by calling 863-824-6888.
o Okeechobee County Office Buildings: Wednesday (9/28/22)
o Okeechobee County Sheriff Administration: Wednesday – Friday (9/28/22-9/30/33)
o Okeechobee Courthouse: Wednesday – Thursday (9/28/22-9/29/22)
o Okeechobee County Schools: Wednesday – Friday (9/28/22-9/30/33)
o Okeechobee County Parks including Lock 7: Tuesday evening – Wednesday (9/27/22-9/28/22)
• For continued updates follow us on: Facebook: Okeechobee Emergency-Management or Okeechobee County Government; Okeechobee County Website: co.okeechobee.fl.us
To report an ADA accessibility issue, request accessibility assistance regarding our website content, or to request a specific electronic format, County Administrator’s Office, Okeechobee County Board of County Commissioners, 304 NW 2nd Street, Room 123, Okeechobee, FL 34972.
Direct Phone No.: 863-763-6441 ext.1. or you may email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will make reasonable efforts to accommodate all needs.