City of Port St. Lucie - Waste Service, Cancellations and Advisories
Port St. Lucie - Tuesday November 8, 2022: The City of Port St. Lucie is closely monitoring the path of Tropical Storm Nicole and is preparing for any potential weather impacts it could bring. Due to Nicole’s impending impact, City Manager Russ Blackburn will be making an emergency declaration effective at 7 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9.
A Special City Council meeting is scheduled for 8 a.m. Wednesday at City Hall to affirm the declaration. As a result, all City facilities, including City Hall, the MIDFLORIDA Event Center and the Community Center, will be closed Wednesday, Nov. 9 and Thursday, Nov. 10. In observance of Veterans Day, Friday, Nov. 11, all City facilities will be closed and will reopen Monday, Nov. 14 during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The City of Port St. Lucie’s public information updates regarding Tropical Storm Nicole can be found at www.CityofPSL.com/Nicole. This site includes updates on closures, information about drainage and utilities, trash collection, City events and more.
The City encourages residents to monitor the National Weather Service/National Hurricane Center for the latest updates on the storm’s track and intensity. Below are important points of information the City would like residents to keep in mind:
Waste Collection/Code Enforcement will be impacted:
· Garbage will be collected Wednesday, Nov. 9 for Wednesday customers. Recycling and yard waste will not be collected. This will allow FCC Environmental Services to concentrate all resources on collecting household garbage before the storm.
· All solid waste services will be suspended Thursday, Nov. 10.
· Thursday customers: FCC will collect garbage, recycling and yard waste Friday, Nov. 11.
· Friday’s customers: FCC will collect garbage, recycling and yard waste Saturday, Nov. 12.
· The Voluntary Drop-Off Site, on the corner of Cameo Boulevard and Crosstown Parkway, will be closed Wednesday, Nov. 9 through Friday, Nov. 11. The site will reopen Saturday, Nov. 12 and will continue to be available for residential yard and bulk waste seven days a week, from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. (or dusk).
Residents are being asked not to trim trees or put out large piles of yard waste as they might not be collected before the storm. Residents also should avoid placing out large piles of trash or bulky items until the storm passes. If a resident has a pile at the curb, and it’s not picked up before the storm, they are please to ensure it is secured. To learn more, click on the severe weather tips and questions at www.CityofPSL.com/SolidWaste.
All temporary signs, whether on public or private property, should be removed before the storm makes landfall.
Meetings: The following meetings have been canceled:
· Special Magistrate Hearing (9 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9)
· Site Plan Review Committee meeting (1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9)
· Affordable Housing Advisory Committee Meeting (1:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10)
· NICE Neighborhood Meetings (4 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10 at O.L. Peacock, Sr. Park and 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 12 at Winterlakes Park)
Events: The following events have been canceled:
· Wellness Connection (6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10 at the MIDFLORIDA Event Center game room) It has been rescheduled for Thursday, Dec. 1 at the same time and venue.
· City U graduation (Wednesday, Nov. 9) will be rescheduled to a later date.
· River Nights (5:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10)
· Devoted Health Plans (10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10 at the MIDFLORIDA Event Center)
· All recreation programs and fitness classes (Wednesday, Nov. 9 & Thursday, Nov. 10).
Special note: The Veterans Day ceremony scheduled for Veterans Memorial Park will be moved indoors to the Port St. Lucie Community Center, 2195 SE Airoso Blvd., at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11. Please visit the City’s calendar for more information at www.CityofPSL.com/Calendar.
Port St. Lucie Botanical Gardens: The Gardens will be closed Wednesday, Nov. 9 and Thursday, Nov. 10. The Gardens plans to reopen at 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11. Learn more at https://www.pslbg.org/.
Parks & Recreation: All indoor facilities (Community Center, Minsky Gym, The Saints Golf Course and the MIDFLORIDA Event Center) will be closed Wednesday, Nov. 9 and Thursday, Nov. 10. They’re expected to reopen Friday, Nov. 11:
· Community Center: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Community Fitness & Wellness Center: 8 a.m. to noon (Veterans Day hours)
· Humana Fitness & Wellness Center: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Veterans Day hours)
· Minsky Gym: Closed for Veterans Day.
· Parks & Recreation at the MIDFLORIDA Event Center: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Veterans Day hours)
· The Saints Golf Course: Open sunrise to sundown.
All City parks will be closed beginning at normal operating hours on Tuesday, Nov. 8, excluding the C-24 Canal Boat Ramp and Veterans Park at Rivergate, which will remain open throughout the duration of the storm. Only the boat ramps at C-24 Canal Park and Veterans Park Rivergate will be open to the public during this time and restrooms will be unavailable at the two parks. City parks are anticipated to reopen Friday, Nov. 11 during normal hours.
McCarty Ranch Preserve’s campsites will be unavailable Wednesday, Nov. 9 and Thursday, Nov. 10.
Police: The department has implemented its emergency plan, effective Wednesday, Nov. 9. Officers will patrol at an enhanced security level. Port St. Lucie Police ask residents not to drive unless necessary.
Follow these tips to stay safe:
• Keep a safe distance between vehicles and watch your speed. Slow and steady will get you out of harm's way.
• Avoid water-filled roads. You don’t know how deep the water is.
• If you come to an intersection and the lights are not operating, treat it as a four-way stop sign.
Building Inspections: All building inspections have been suspended for Wednesday, November 9th and Thursday, November 10th. As a reminder, there will be no inspections on Friday, November 11th as it is an observed holiday, and all City Offices will be closed.
1PSL/Hotlines: Residents can contact the City through its 1PSL customer service system at 772-871-1775 or through the 1PSL app. St. Lucie County’s EOC hotline is 772-460-HELP. Please reserve 911 for emergency calls.
City of Port St. Lucie Information: www.CityofPSL.com/Nicole.