Okeechobee County Will Open Two Shelters Wednesday
Okeechobee County - Tuesday November 8, 2022: Okeechobee County remains under a Tropical Storm Warning. The Emergency Operations Center is currently at activation level 2: partial activation.
The County will open two shelters at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, November 9:
- A Special Needs Shelter will open at the Department of Health at 8:00 a.m. located at 1700 NW 9th Avenue. Registration is required at https://snr.flhealthresponse.com/
- A General Population and Pet Friendly shelter will open at South Elementary at 8:00 a.m. located at 2468 SW 7th Avenue. Pets are required to be registered with the County and provide a crate, up-to-date shot records, food for at least 3-5 days, water for the animal and a litter box if the pet is a cat.
• SANDBAGS are available at the Public Works Department Compound located at 804 NW 2nd Street. Shovels and bags are available at the site at no charge. Citizens will be required to fill their own bags unless special needs residents require some limited assistance. If you are a special needs resident and require assistance with sandbags, please call 863-763-3514 between 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sandbags will be limited to 10 bags per vehicle while supplies are available. Sandbags will be available after 5:30 p.m. with no assistance available.
• Waste Collection: Household waste and Hurricane Ian debris will continue to be picked up throughout the community until the approaching storm conditions become too excessive to safely continue.
Evacuations: Residents should prepare for voluntary evacuations beginning Wednesday (11/9/22) for low lying areas, mobile homes, and areas prone to flooding.
CLOSURES: Scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday (11/9-11/10/22). *Please note many offices will also be closed on 11/11/22 for Veterans Day.
- Okeechobee County Offices* (except during the BOCC meeting at the Historic Courthouse on 11/9/22 at 8:30am)
- City of Okeechobee Offices*
- Okeechobee Judicial Center (Courthouse)*
- Okeechobee County Sheriff Office Administration Offices*
- Department of Health*
- Indian River State College*
- Disaster Recovery Center at the Okeechobee Library*
- Okeechobee County Public Schools
- Okeechobee County Parks (beginning at 2pm Tuesday)
- Okeechobee County Library (beginning at 4pm Tuesday)*
• The Board of County Commissioners regular meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:30 a.m.
Information Line: A call line is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. by calling 863-824-6888.
Updated information from Waste Management is available at www.WMFLoridaStorm.com.